Friday, September 28, 2012

Dad's Visit

The first couple of weeks on September were busy! My dad had his semi-annual National Volunteer Fire Council meeting in Fairbanks, AK this year, so Scott and I made a quick trip to Fairbanks when it was over to pick him up. Before we headed back to the Mat-Su Valley, we made a quick stop at North Pole, Alaska. While there, we visited Santa Claus's House, "The North Pole", and the fire department.

I didn't get a picture of Santa Claus's House, but we did find the fire hydrant kind of fun with the "peppermint sticks" surrounding it.


"The North Pole"




Even Santa Claus needs a fire station!


After trying to get my dad up here to go moose hunting for the 20 or so years, my dad's friend, Darrell, finally got him to go. You'll have to talk to Dad for his whole hunting story, but I will tell you he says, "It was the hunt from Heaven, and the trip out from Hell!" I'll just say they got 3 moose in 3 days, then set out to come back on a Saturday and didn't get out until Tuesday. In that time, they had one 4-wheelers keep getting stuck, one caught on fire, and one just completely broke in two. It was definitely a memorable trip for him! Here are his antlers.


 We haven't had them officially measured yet, but they are about 59" wide and about 45" tall. 
(Scott and I get to 'store' the antlers for my dad since it's really expensive to ship them. I'm not complaining! I have the perfect ledge to display them on!)

That size of bull had a lot of meat on him! We got to keep my dad's half which gave us a full weekend activity and a new experience. Luckily, we have some great friends who were willing to help us learn the craft of butchering, grinding, and wrapping game meat.



 Cutting up the meat into roasts, steaks, and piece to ground up.

Grinding the meat up!

Our set up and some of the meat all ready to be wrapped.

Some of our meat (we had to room to lay them out on a couple of shelves so they freeze flat).


We're going to eat well this winter!




No comments:

Post a Comment